Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rip Ain't Cutting It

My title says it all. I've been more than patient with Rip Hamilton throughout the course of the season and I'm sure most of the rest of the city is just as guilty. But with Monday's latest setback against the Pacers, it only adds to what has been a frustrating year for the former Piston. While the Bulls have been able to survive without his services for most of the year, how much longer can they really? As we get closer to the trade deadline, it's been a hot topic around Chicago lately. I'm not going to waste blog space writing about potential shooting guards for them to acquire as I'm writing this shortly before I have to go to work. Instead, this is more of a chance for me to let off some steam.

I've had a habit of being more patient with underachieving and disappointing athletes than I really should be and Hamilton is just the latest example. Now, I'm wondering whether he should just live in a plastic bubble until it's time to play Miami in the playoffs. After all, isn't that why he was brought here in the first place? A lack of a decent player at the two has been a bit of a kryptonite for this team, especially when it comes to that team from South Beach. Someone is going to need to step up against Dwyane Wade when the time comes and Hamilton was touted as the guy. Really, he still is. Ronnie Brewer won't be able to do it. Neither will Kyle Korver. So that's where Hamilton has to step in. But in the journey to get there, do we really want to not worry about the fact that our starting two guard is an injury waiting to happen? A trade for the opposite would be nice, but Foreman and Paxson likely won't allow it to happen. Instead, we better hope the glass that is Hamilton doesn't break before mid-May.

Once again, the next game is tonight at Milwaukee against the Bucks. Rip might play, but I'm guessing he won't. In the meantime, pray to whatever deity you happen to worship for his well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment