Wednesday, November 14, 2012

For My 100th Post, The Best of the First 99

It was just over 11 months ago, just after the NBA lockout had ended, when I was inspired to create my own Bulls blog.  Now, I've finally reached triple digits.  Perhaps this milestone might have been achieved already had the NBA schedule gone the full slate last year.  Regardless, I'm just happy to be writing when I haven't been able to write a full-length newspaper article since the start of the year.

There are some posts that have been read more than others, so let's look at the top five by view count as of this writing.  I'll explain what they were about and give my own interpretation of why they got as many hits as they did.  They may not be entirely accurate, so feel free to form your own opinion.

5) Please, Derrick. Do NOT Hurry Back - March 15, 2012 (30 views) - The only full-length game recap to make the list, this comes from last year's victory over Miami in which John Lucas III had the game of his life with Derrick Rose out of the lineup.  I also talk about a call I made after the game to Les Grobstein's radio program on The Score.  I even provided a link to the hour which contains said call.  Chicago was in a celebratory mood after the Bulls had bested the evil Heat without the reigning MVP.  Confidence was high that once Rose returned for the playoffs, this club was going to give LeBron and Co. a run for their money.  They might even get past them and reach the NBA Finals.  People are already starting to make plans to be in Grant Park on a June morning.  Of course, this makes the next post on the list ironic.

4) Oh Bother - April 29, 2012 (31 views) - All of the highs expressed above came crashing down thanks to the event I dissect in this post, one we'll still be feeling the effects of for awhile.  In the very first game of the playoffs, Derrick Rose tore his ACL, putting an end to any championship hopes and the future of the Bulls star in question.  My lament in this post echoed what many Chicago fans were thinking at the time.  People must have hoped I could offer some sort of consolation, but I didn't.  It was virtually impossible to think positive when this happened.  If I left you feeling even more down in the dumps, I apologize.  Hopefully someday, I can write about how Rose has come all the way back and won a title in doing so.  Until then, all that can be done is watching his recovery unfold.

3) No Bull: Gasol Not Coming - February 22, 2012 (43 views) - When this post was made, there was a lot of talk that Pau Gasol was ready to move on from the Lakers.  Several rumors pointed to him coming to the Bulls.  Here, I expressed with utmost confidence that the front office was confident enough with the group they had that they weren't going to make the sacrifices required to trade for the power forward.  Doing so could upset the chemistry they had at the time.  Trade rumors are a part of everyday talk in the NBA, especially when the deadline draws near.  When one gains steam, people want to see the chances of a certain player choosing a certain destination, preferably their favorite.  I feel my argument was short and on target.  Maybe I disenchanted some people who read it, but I have no regrets expressing my opinion on this matter.

2) Brian Scalabrine - The Man, The Myth, The Legend? - December 14, 2011 (77 views) - The title speaks for itself.  The post was longer when I initially wrote it, but I disobeyed the laptop law of keeping your charger plugged in when working on something, so this was shorter than I intended.  The man is still immensely popular and apparently, people love to Google the title of this post.  In fact, if you do it, this link will appear as the second web page and fourth hit overall.  It explains why this still appears on my recently read articles list from time to time.  Also, it has to have attracted fans in both Chicago and Boston.  These days, Celtics fans are probably typing this in more, but I have to thank them for increasing traffic here.

1) Let Me Step Back and Kiss Myself! - March 8, 2012 (105 views) - It may be the shortest post on the blog as I wrote it minutes before leaving for work, but it's the most popular.  The night after Derrick Rose hit the game-winning buzzer beater to beat Milwaukee, triggering the Stacey King phrase which inspired this title, I decided to further express just how much he was worth as a player.  He was as clutch as they came and therefore, had to be admired.  King makes Rose plays as memorable as Johnny "Red" Kerr did to Michael Jordan plays.  Bulls fans love to Google King's phrases.  Since the post here shows up on the first page when you type it in, it will invariably receive a lot of attention.  I only wish that those people would check out the rest of what I have to offer instead of just trying to figure out why I wrote that as the title.  Still, I consider this my own proof that King is in the TV announcer's chair to stay.  As long as he finds ways to stay creative, he'll keep us entertained for years to come.

My 200th post will likely come sooner than 11 months from now since we have more games to discuss.  I can't wait to see where the Bulls will be whenever that time comes.  Please continue to read as I'll continue to keep you informed on what happens with this team.  If you have any feedback or a suggestion on what to write about, message me on Facebook or hit me up on Twitter @gfclark89.  Leave comments too.  Those are always nice.

Post 101 will come tonight once the Bulls are finished playing the Phoenix Suns.  Hope I'm talking about a nice start to the Circus Trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment