Saturday, December 17, 2011

Basketball is Back!


I know I said I wouldn't be able to see much of last night's preseason game against the Pacers, but between my two jobs, I was able to listen to the first quarter on the radio and watch almost all of the second quarter on TV. From what I was able to gather, my sentiments are the same as everyone else who reported on it. Even though the Bulls won 95-86, it was clear they were a little rusty.

Often times, passes that otherwise would have been completed cleanly were not. That can only improve over time. With this team, it will. Derrick Rose, who tied for the team lead in points with Luol Deng with 16, picked up two fouls in the first couple of minutes, forcing Tom Thibodeau to put in C.J. Watson early. He however was hit with three fouls before the first quarter ended. It was a good night for him though. He had 15 points and knocked down all three of his three-point attempts.

The player that stood out to me best though was rookie Jimmy Butler. He hit all three of his field goal attempts and two free throws. Do the math and that's eight points. He looked rather smooth out there I thought. I'm very interested to see what he can bring to the table. If he plays enough (and I don't mean Keith Booth minutes from '97-98), he could be a candidate for the All-Rookie Second Team. If I'm wrong about him, feel free to refer me back to this post after the season. For now though, I will gladly drink the Butler Kool-Aid.

The Bulls waived Keith Bogans and Jannero Pargo prior to last night's game. Can't say I'll miss either though. Pargo was a complete non-factor in his brief stint here last season and with Rip Hamilton on the roster, Bogans' services were deemed no longer necessary. Someone will pick up Bogans. Starting all 82 games for the team with the best regular-season record a year ago gives you some pretty good credentials. As for Pargo, his career might continue, possibly somewhere in Europe, but don't be surprised if you don't see him in the NBA again. With all the chances he's had to prove himself over the years, he doesn't fit a better billing than NBA journeyman with few opportunities to play in most of his stops.

With luck, I'll find something to say before Tuesday game ends, but if I don't, hope the wait is a painless one for you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment